Enchanting Horis by Smt. Giruja Devi, Smt. Shobha Gurtu, Pt. Ajoy Chakraborty, Dr. Soma Ghosh
Holi is a festival that truly accentuates the beauty of the enchanting spring season. The world waits for it every year but the court of the king of Benaras waited for Holi for a different reason. It was at this time that they heard the various new songs prepared for Holi by the ‘Baijis’ of Bebaras. Hori compositions described the spring season and were usually based on the love pranks of Radha – Krishna. The mood of these compositions was joyous and playful and illustrated the divine Leela of Lord Krishna. The sages of colour throwing, Radha Krishna Holi episodes, tales from folklore and the mythological references were meshed together to create colourful melodies that enhanced the magic of Holi. Though Horis are supposed to be about the love pranks of Krishna and Radha, there exist some delightful exceptions too.
Taking off the old tradition, Girija Devi, Shobha Gurtu and Ajoy Chakraborty made Hori popular in concert circuits. Dr. Soma Ghosh too has taken this form of singing to new heights with her melodic renditions.
1. Udat Abir Gulal – Raag Mishra Gara: Girija Devi
2. Kaa Sang Khelun Main Phaag – Raag Sohni: Ajoy Chakraborty
3. Hori Khelan Kaise Jaaun – Raag Pilu: Shobha Gurtu
4. Rang Darungi – Raag Mishra Yamani: Dr. Soma Ghosh
5. Hori Khelan Kaise Jaaun – Raag Mishra Khamaj: Dr. Soma Ghosh
6. Savre Ne Gaari Dayee – Raag Kafi: Dr. Soma Ghosh