The creative musician is constantly searching for new directions in sound Leading this quest is master pianist Richard Bennett. In this album 'Rhapsody in Yaman', he continues his musical exploration in pianistic and compositional avenues, seamlessly traveling between west and east. He brings the four sublime ragas, Yaman, Bhairavi, Vachaspati and Lalit, into new light with jazz harmonies and movement, and further enlivens them with breath and rhythm by his chosen ensemble.
Jusight into the Pusion…
• And Then, Alone is a beautiful ballad of flute and piano with a subtle dumbek accompaniment
. • Rhapsody in Yaman starts with a majestic solo piano introduction, followed by yaman themes, languorously developed by flute and piano over the calm yet pulsating rhythms of the ensemble.
• The Lion Throne is a catchy melody played over an afro-pop rhythm of bass and conga.
• Raga Bhairavi- Alap is a moody jugalbandhi of piano and sarod.
• Adi Anta is also a piano, sarod duo with a rousing melody in a fast tempo.
• One Lie, One Heart is an exquisite instrumental featuring Richard Bennett on the plaintive sounding melodica.
• She Turns in Sleep features the mysterious and profound raga lalit.
• Raga Vachaspati - Alap is a duo of Debussy-nspred piano and Bansuriflute.
• Mambo Nawaz is an Indian-Cuban fusion. The talented tabla player Naren Budhkar is the mambo nawaz, holding down a super groove, as weU as taking a classical solo.
• Soma is an infectiously jazzy number featuring the acoustic bass.
It is during my recent trip to India that the inspiation to compose music for this album stirred my heart. And then began the journey to bring together those who are attuned to shape it up with their touch of music. I started with the trio format of my debut album with Mystica Music 'Raga a Blues'. Steve Gron was my first choice for this album. He is truly a marvelous flautist, equally adept in Hindustani Classical and Western Jazz. His way with melody is sublime. Then I Fortuitously met sarod expert Siddarth Dayama just few days before the recording. He has a beautiful tone and a refined sensibility. To top it up, the famed percussionist Paula Jeanine has added her infectious groove to several tracks. Powerhouse bassist Gaku Takanashi and the talented tabla player Naren Budhkar too were roped in from Raga a Blues. All these brilliant musicians have poured their hearts and souls into the making of 'Rhapsody in Yaman', lending a rnesrnerisng experience to the listener.
|1||And Then Alone(Raga Yaman)||5:00|
|2||Rhapsody In Yaman||7:30|
|3||The Lion Throne (Raga Yaman)||6:09|
|4||Raga Bhairavi- Alap||6:45|
|5||Adi Anta (Raga Bhairavi)||4:20|
|6||One Life One heart||3:57|
|7||She Turns In Sleep (Raag Lalit)||5:00|
|8||Raga Vachaspati- Alap||4:07|
|9||Mambo Nawaz (Raag Vachaspati)||7:06|
|10||Soma (Raga Vachaspati)||5:00|