BEFORE the eighteenth century Dig was one of the humerous tiny and unknown villages of eastern Rajasthan, forming a part of the Agra province of the Mughal Empire. Traditionally, it falls within the territorial limits of the holy Braj-bhumi or the land of Braj, which connects its past with the mythological hero Krishna and his kinsmen, the Yadavas, who, according to a strong local belief were the ancestors of the modern Jats of this region. Some scholars are inclined to identify Dig with Dirghapura mentioned in the Skanda-Purana' along with Nandigrama (Nandgaon), Brishatsanu (Barsana) and Govardhana (Govardhan)—all in District Mathura (Uttar Pradesh). However, the antiquity of this place has yet to be proved archaeologically, although the Painted Grey Ware, a characteristic pottery of the first millennium B.c., has been Spotted in the vicinity of Dig at Januthar and Kushana. Historically, the past of Dig is intimately associated with the rise of the Jat peasants of neighbouring villages of Sinsini and Thun to power, as a result of the Mughal misrule’, under the leadership of Rajaram (1686-88), his father Bhajja singh (1688-95) and his younger brother Chtdaman (1695-1721). After the death of Chadaman his nephew, Badansingh (1722-56) succeeded in assuming the headship of the tribe and consolidating his authority over several outlying districts, and thereby becoming the virtual founder of the Jat house of Bharatpur.
The credit of commencing the urbanization of Dig also goes to him, for, it was he who selected this spot as the headquarters of his newly-established Jat kingdom. Gigantic mud-fortifications were, therefore, raised around the locality of Dig including the adjoining villages of Kishanpur, Malpur, Achalpur and Shahpur. Immediately afterwards, Badansingh constructed the capacious palace, now known as the Purana -Mahal (old palace), standing to the south of Dig gardens. The strong citadel with towering walls and bastions, almost in the heart of the town, was erected slightly later, in 1730, by the prince regent Strajmal, the worthy son of Badansingh, subsequent to his recognition as a bona fide prince by Maharaja Sawat Jaisingh of Jaipur on the occasion of the latter’s asvamedha sacrifice. About the same period, according to certain writers, the large charming tank called Rup-Sagar was built by Rtpsingh, the brother of Badansingh. Under the shelter of the increasing power of this growing Jat ruler, Dig was transformed into a flourishing town with fine buildings and riches and a centre of trade and commerce.
**Contents and Sample Pages**
Item Code: NAU339 Author: M.C. Joshi Cover: PAPERBACK Edition: 2006 Publisher: ARCHAEOLOGICAL SURVEY OF INDIA Language: English Size: 8.50 X 5.50 inch Pages: 35 (6 Colored Illustrations) Other Details: Weight of the Book: 0.08 Kg