The present volume catalogues some 4589 manuscripts (Accn. No. 1-5230) deposited in the Kota branch of the Institute. Previously this collection was housed in the 'Saraswati Bhandar' built up by the Hada chiefs. When this asset was transferred to the Institute in the year 1959-60 manuscripts numbering 4815 came to our possession, although the Rao Madho Singh Museum, Kota still possesses the rest of the number. The number of manuscripts increased gradually through munificent donations raising the present figure to 9447.
Like other princely states the Hadas too paid attention to maintain ing a 'Saraswati-Bhandar' and lent patronage to scholars mostly of the Vaishnav Sect. Works on the Vedas, Purana, Ayurveda, Darshan, Jyotisha and Bhakti-sahitya abound. Close cultural affinity with the Braj Bhumi accounts for abundant devotional literature on the Vallabha School centering around Krishna. Durjan Shala Hada (1780-1813) was a great lover of the Sanskrit language as well. A large number of manuscripts was added to the Saraswati-Bhandar in the times of Maba rao Umed Singh. The oldest manuscript is the 'Karan-Vichar' on astrology dated 1506 A. D.
**Contents and Sample Pages**
Send as free online greeting card
Email a Friend