Homoeopathy originated in Germany about 200 years ago and it had achieved prominence in USA and Europe in the later years. In India Homoeopathy has been accepted as one of the National Systems of Medicine over the more than half a century. Over these years it has been possible to lay the foundation for standardization in the field of education, research, patent care, medicine manufacturing etc. We have established the Central Council to Homoeopathy to regulate the standards of Education and Practice and the Central Council for Research in Homoeopathy to streamline the Research activities. For pursuing advance studies in the field of Homoeopathy a National Institute of Homoeopathy has also been set up. To ensure the quality of medicines the Homoeopathic Pharmacopoeia Laboratory is set up and eight volume of Homoeopathic Pharmacopoeia of India have also been published. Action has also been initiated to set up the Pharmacy Council for Indian Systems of Medicine & Homoeopathy which is a prelude to starting standardized para-medical courses in Homoeopathic Pharmacy. With these activities India has come to the forefront in giving prominence and in achieving results in various related activities.
Many aspects like chemical constituents, Pharmacological action, side effects, toxicity, contra-indications, Homoeopathic and other general uses etc. of drugs are not covered by the Pharmacopoeia. These are of great importance to Medicine Manufacturers, Drug Control Authorities, Researchers, Practitioners, Students Students etc. It is against this background that this Ministry had to think about bringing out a Pharmaceutical Codex of Homoeopathic medicines covering all the mentioned above. As result it has been decided to prepare the Homoeopathic Pharmacopoeial Codex covering a large number of drugs. This is the first of the series covering about 100 drugs.
I am very happy to see that commendable efforts have been made by all concerned to bring out this Publication. In this connection I appreciate the work done by the staff of the Homoeopathic Laboratory, Laboratory, Ghaziabad and the Homoeopathic Pharmacopoiea Committee. I hope this publication would prove to be of great use to the profession as a whole.,
The Department of ISM and Homoeopathy, Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, Govt. of India has brought out through this publication such supplementary information on homoeopathic medicines and source material which may otherwise not be included in the Homoeopathic Pharmacopoeia of India viz. :in case of drugs of plants and animal origin, chemical constituents, pharmacological action, side effects, toxicity, contraindications, possible important homoeopathic uses, other general uses and photograph of the plant, besides important morphological & important morphological & microscopical characters and differentiating with important adulterants wherever needed. In case of drugs of chemical origin, information of pharmaceutical importance. Cautions are added wherever deemed necessary. For the purpose therefore the Department of ISM & Homoeopathy is publishing aforesaid information in the form of a Codex, hereafter called as Homoeopathic Pharmaceutical Codex of India, an encyclopedia of information on homoeopathic drugs. Homoeopathic Pharmacopoeia Committee has executed the concerned work & Homoeopathic Pharmacopoeia Laboratory has coordinated and provided necessary technical data for the said work.
The Codex will help the pharmacists, manufacturers and persons in the profession and homoeopathic enforcement to identify the drug besides knowing the limitation of using a drug in case it is toxic & should not used in lower strength in repeated doses.
The present Homoeopathic Pharmaceutical Codex, Vol. I contains 101 monographs, approved by the Homoeopathic Pharmacopoeia Committee, constituted by the Government of India, Department of ISM & Homoeopathy Ministry of Health & Family Welfare.
The Committee commends the work done by all the technical staff and officers of Homoeopathic Pharmacopoeia Committee and Homoeopathic Pharmacopoeia Laboratory for assistance in general and providing technical data in particular for the monographs for the concerned volume.
The Government of India constituted Homoeopathic Pharmacopoeia Committee in 1962 and time the tenure of the Committee had been extended had been extended for the purpose of preparing the Homoeopathic pharmacopoeia of India with the following objective:
(1) To prepare a Pharmacopoeia of Homoeopathic drugs whose therapeutic usefulness has been proved on the lines of American, German and British Homoeopathic Pharmacopoeia.
(2) To lay down principles and standards and standards for the preparation of Homoeopathic Pharmacopoeia.
(3) To lay down test of identity, quality, purity, and
(4) Such other matters as are incidental and necessary for the preparation of Homoeopathic Pharmacopoeia.
After the creation of new independent of Department of I.S.M.& Homoeopathy, the H.P.C. was reconstituted in 1997 by the Government of India, Ministry of Health & Family Welfare vide letter No. U. 13012/96-HPC, dated 26th May, 1997. Apart from the above objectives Homoeopathic Codex has also been assigned to the present Committee.
The members of the Committee were as follows:-
1. Prof Dr. K.P. Muzumdar, B.Sc. D.M.S.MF (Malaysia).Chairman Homoeopathy Physician, Mumbai.
2. Drugs Controller General of India, (Dr. P. Das. Gupta) Members
3. Director (Sh. B. Mandal), Central laboratory, Kolkata Members
4. Director (Shri Vikramaditya), Homoeopathic Pharmacopoeia laboratory, Ghaziabad member
5. Director Central Council for Research in Homoeopathy New Delhi (Dr. D. P. Rastogi upto July, 99) (Dr. R. N. Shaw August, 99) Member
6. Prof.(Dr.) R.N. Khanna, M.Sc., Ph. D Deptt. of Chemistry University of Delhi Members
7. Prof (Dr.) A.K. Bhatnagar, M.Sc., Ph. D Deptt. of Botany University of Delhi, Delhi Members
8. Sh. P. N. Bhatt, M.Sc., Production Manager, M/s S.B.L. Ltd. Sahibabad-U.P. Members
9. Sh. Sharad Vaknalli, B.E. (Hons.), MIE (Ind), M.R.S.H. (Eng), Members
10. Deputy Adviser (Homoeopathy) (Dr. S. P. Singh), Deptt of Members Secretary
The term of the H.P.C. extended further vide letter No.Z.2805/11/2000-HPC dated 28th June, 2001 till July, 2002.
The following are the members of the Committee:
1. Dr. K.P. Muzumdar, 105, TPS-III, 14th Road, Bandra, Mumba-400050 Chairman
2. Drugs Controller General of India, Dte General of health Services, Nirman Bhawan, New Delhi Members
3. Director, Central Drugs Laboratory, Kolkata Members
4. Director/Director Incharge, Homoeopathic Pharmacopoeial laboratory, Ghaziabad Members
5. Director, Central Council for Research in Homoeopathy New Delhi. Members
6. Prof. R.N. Khanna Deptt. of Chemistry, University of Delhi. Members
7. Prof. A. K. Bhatnagar Deptt. of Botany University of Delhi, Delhi. Members
8. Dr. Sanjeev Kumar Gupta, Scientist, M/s. Bhandari Homoeopathic Laboratories DLF Industrial Estate, 14 Miles Stone, Faridabad Members
9. Shri J.G.P. Rao General Manager, M/s. Allen Homoeopathic Pharmaceuticals, 7-1-383/99A, Vinaya Nagar Coliny, Hyderabad-59. Members
10. Dr. .K. Kapoor Flat No. 33, Block-5 Nawab Yusuf Road, (Civil Lines), Allahabad. Members
11. Dr. S.P. Singh Deputy Adviser (Homoeopathy) Department of ISM & Homoeopathy, Ministry of Health & Family Welfare Government of India Members Secretary
Eight Volumes of Homoeopathic Pharmacopoeia of India 9H.P.I.) have already been published so far:
|Volume I (1971)||180|
|Volume II (1974)||100|
|Volume III (1978)||105|
|Volume IV (1984)||107|
|Volume VI (1990)||104|
|Volume VII (1999)||105|
|Volume VIII (2000)||101|
Item Code: NAM146 Cover: Paperback Edition: 2002 Publisher: Government of India, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Department of Ayurveda, Yoga & Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha and Homoeopathy, New Delhi Language: English Size: 10.5 inch x 7.5 inch Pages: 395 (20 Color Illustrations) Other Details: Weight of the Book: 995 gms