(1) Whatever be the mode of prediction or divination, a careful scrutiny of the planets is not only essential but also inevitable. In Palmistry for instance, we study the various signs and lines but there too, the study of planets is done through the study of the mounts without knowledge of traits and qualities of respective planets. We must know traits of Jupiter to understand the mount of Jupiter, we must know what Saturn stands for in order to interpret the mount of Saturn and so on. Numerology has a still more intimate link with the traits and characteristics of various planets. Each of the numbers in Numerology stands for a planet and without a thorough knowledge of the good and bad qualities of planets, it is simply not possible to have a clear approach to Numerology. Similarly in the art of prediction called 'Ramal' we have 16 shapes comprising of the dots and dashes, where each of these shapes stands for a particular sign of the zodiac and therefore, for a specific planet in the heavens. The planets as studied in Ramal Shastra, predict the nature of coming events.
(2) In Astrology, proper study of planets is, of course, of utmost importance. In fact every Anga or limb or constituent has to be understood for the qualities of a planet before any judgment is pronounced. The signs of the Zodiac are taken in Astrology like planets i.e., of course, done by allotting planets the lordship of signs. Similarly the Nakshatras i.e. the asterisms are also used as planets, in as much as we have allotted lordships of asterisms to planets as would be seen from the study of Vimshottari Dasa system. For example, the asterism Ashwini is represented by the planet Ketu, Bharani by Venus, Krittika by the Sun, Rohini by the Moon and so on. 30 tithis have also been divided into 6 sets of 5 tithis each. The first tithi in each set is named as Nanda for the exultant and luxurious planet Venus. The second tithi goes by the name Bhadra related to and represented by the planet Mercury. The third tithi is known as Jaya - the victorious, drawing its traits qualities from and being represented by the planet Mars. The fourth tithi in the set goes by the name Rikta - the empty, represented by the empty, scanty and poor planet Saturn. Last of all, we have the 5th tithi called Poorna-the full, or the complete, represented by the planet Jupiter which is, of course, Poorna or full of qualities as well as wealth.
(3) Planets are thus the primary instruments of prediction. The system of Karakas and Marakas, adumberated by Maharshi Parasara, has made the planets assume all sorts of roles consistent with the dictated by the wide conditions prevailing in our globe. Under his system planets are treated not only as natural malefics and benefics but also assume different and varied roles, neutral, good, bad, changeable and fixed as well, thus giving us variety in the heavens that correspond thus works as a very sound and basic system of Astrology.
(4) The scheme of dispositors here being presented in this book, however, constitutes a step higher up in the evolution of the science of Astrology. In this scheme of dispositors, the planets sometimes rather in a considerable number of cases, exhibit results least expected of them. One planet may be worst for a particular Lagna under the system of Parasara but it may be found to give contrarily the best results for other Lagnas. The dispositors also give results of the planets occupying their signs. For example, Venus is considered inauspicious planet by Maharishi Parasara for people having Scorpio as their Lagna, but suppose in a Scorpio nativity the 12th house is occupied by the Sun and Moon in the sign Libra - owned by Venus. Now, Venus has been declared as inauspicious planet for Scorpio nativities under the system of Parasara. But Venus in such circumstances would also give, auspicious results of the Sun and Moon being dispositor. The Sun and Moon are auspicious planets for Scorpio natives, under the rules laid down by Parasara. Thus Venus would also give auspicious results of these two auspicious planets.
(5) One need not be surprised, the way in which dispositors, along with their own effects, also give the effects of planets whose dispositors they become. This is as it should be, for, there is nothing in this universe that exists or works in isolation. Just as the food problem in any part of the world has its effects on other parts of the world, or just as epidemics in one part of th world affect rest of the world, in the same manner, planets located in any sign, influence to considerable extent the lord of that sign.
(6) Thus, in actual experience we see that the basic nature of a planet undergoes modification. Planets considered as natural benefices may, some times do act as malefics, as a result of the malefic influences they may be situated under. Jupiter - the greatest benefic has sometimes in actual experience been seen to function as the worst malefic. This is noticed when Jupiter is located under malefic influences of a very heavy or severe type. A planet may be afflicted in one or more of the following ways:
(i) It may be occupying a bad house.
(ii) It may be situated in an inimical sign.
(iii) It may be associated with natural malefic planets.
(iv) It may be under the aspect of dispositor of natural malefic planets.
(v) It may be under the aspect of dispositor of natural malefic planets.
(vi) It may have on either side of it, the malefic influence of malefic planets by their aspects or placement etc.
(vii) It may be lacking in directional strength.
(viii) It may be in its sign of debiltation.
(ix) It may be ill positioned from its own signs.
(x) It may be suffering from the planets, whose influence is carried to it through the shadowy planets, Rahu and Ketu.
(xi) It may be acting as the dispositor of malefic planet or planets.
(7) who has imbibed malefic influences in any of the four or more ways listed above, not only ceases to be a natural benefic but also on the contrary, acts as a malefic planet. We may be wondering, one fine morning, why the father of a particular native had died when the native was hardly a year old, when Jupiter in the native's birth chart was throwing its influence on all the factors signifying father i.e. the 9th house, lord of the 9th house and significator of father i.e. the Sun. In such case, if you study the birth chart you will invariably find Jupiter heavily afflicted. In such a case where Jupiter has become a malefic, it is precisely due to the malefic aspect of Jupiter that father did not get any more longevity.
(8) We may have another case of Jupiter located in Gemini in the 7th house of a nativity belonging to a female. Malefics like the Sun, Mars and Saturn occupy the sign Sagittarius owned by Jupiter. Such a Jupiter may deny or dalay marriage to the girl. In such a case the 7th house is considered occupied by a strongly inauspicious Jupiter for being the dispositor of malefic planets. Such Jupiter is bound to function as a malefic and afflict the 7th house.
(9) We comprehend thus that the scheme where under the results of dispositors are being in evidence is one that constitutes a step further in the advancement of Astrology. If we do not take into account the fact in regard to the functioning of planets as dispositors, we are sure to incur fallacy in our judgment and thereby earn disrepute to Astrology.
(10) Again consider, Venus in the 2nd house in Capricorn in a male nativity, where Ketu and Mars are located together in Taurus in the 6th house. One familiar with the functioning of
dispositors in Astrology will run away with the notion that Venus a natural benefic, located in a friendly sign in the house of longevity of wife, may actually have had only a few days of married life and died. The reason for all too short life to wife is the dispositorship of Venus of two first rate killers - Mars and Ketu. There is also the influence of Ketu and Mars on Venus and on the house of longevity of wife through the 9th aspect of Rahu.
(11) It is our conviction that the interpretation of a horoscope, if carried out according to the principles laid down by the father of Vedic Astrology Maharshi Parasara, with due regard to the functioning of planets as dispositors in the horoscope, and after taking into consideration the results of aspects of the nodes - Rahu and Ketu as detailed by us in the body of this body, will yield wonderfully accurate results.
Your email address will not be published *
Send as free online greeting card
Email a Friend